Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part III, Chapter 5, of Atlas Shrugged: “Their Brothers’ Keepers.”
- Question 1: What does Dagny observe about the way the looters’ ideas and goals develop as the results of their plans become apparent? What questions does this raise for her?
- Question 2: What exactly do Dagny and Rearden each hope to accomplish by remaining at their jobs, and how do they hope to accomplish it? By the end of the chapter what have we learned about their success or failure?
- Question 3: What does Jim and Dagny’s conversation reveal about Jim’s way of thinking and about what he wants from Dagny?
- Question 4: What does Rearden realize about his enemies as a result of his conversation with Philip? How does this relate to Dagny’s questions about the looters?
- Question 5: Why does Galt reveal himself to Dagny? What consequences does he expect from this decision, why does he expect them, and how does he feel about them?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part III, Chapter 5?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.