Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part II, Chapter 7, of Atlas Shrugged: “By Our Love.”
- Question 1: What is Dagny trying to accomplish during her time at Woodstock, and why does she find it impossible?
- Question 2: How is Francisco’s attitude toward Dagny’s quitting Taggart Transcontinental different from Dagny’s? From their conversation, what can we tell about the causes of these differences?
- Question 3: In which previous scenes have we seen any of the ideas Francisco expresses in his conversation with Dagny? Are there other ways in which this conversation is reminiscent of earlier scenes?
- Question 4: Dagny and Rearden both say that they have “given in”—he by signing the Gift Certificate, she by returning to work. How is each of them different after giving in?
- Question 5: In what ways do various characters react to the tunnel disaster, both before and after Dagny’s return to Taggart Transcontinental? Why do they react in those ways?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part II, Chapter 8?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.