Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part II, Chapter 3, of Atlas Shrugged: “White Blackmail.”
- Question 1: In what ways do we see the influence of Francisco on Rearden’s thoughts and actions?
- Question 2: How is Lillian’s scheme for punishing Rearden similar to Floyd Ferris’s attempt to blackmail Rearden? How does Rearden react to each incident?
- Question 3: Rearden thinks of himself as traveling down a path of discovery. What new steps does he take down this path in this chapter? What prompted the steps and what actions do they lead him to?
- Question 4: How does Dagny’s understanding of the phenomenon of vanishing producers develop in this chapter? What clues are there that might help us understand this phenomenon?
- Question 5: What can we tell from this chapter about why Francisco comes to Rearden’s office and about whether he accomplishes his goal?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part II, Chapter 3?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.