Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part I, Chapter 6, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Non-Commercial”
- Question 1: How does Rearden try to make sense of his paralysis about going to his anniversary party, and his dilemma about his family obligations in general?
- Question 2: What are some common themes in the remarks of the intellectual and cultural leaders at the party?
- Question 3: Does Rearden have a positive emotional response to anything at the party? Of the others at the party, whose responses are like Rearden’s, and whose are unlike Rearden’s?
- Question 4: Why is Rearden’s encounter with Francisco so meaningful to Rearden? How is this meaning incongruous with Rearden’s view of Francisco’s character?
- Question 5: Why did Rearden marry Lillian? What drives him to enter her bedroom on the night of the party, and then to leave without touching her?
- Question 6: What other questions and observations do you have about Part I, Chapter 6?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.