Peter Schwartz is the author of In Defense of Selfishness: Why the Code of Self-Sacrifice Is Unjust and Destructive (St. Martin’s Press, 2015).
Peter Schwartz is a former chairman of the board, and currently a distinguished fellow, of the Ayn Rand Institute. He writes and lectures extensively on topics ranging from ethics and political philosophy to environmentalism and multiculturalism.
Mr. Schwartz is also the author of The Foreign Policy of Self-Interest: A Moral Ideal for America(2004) and the founding editor and publisher of The Intellectual Activist (1979 – 1991), a periodical devoted to the defense of individual rights. He is the editor of and contributing author to Ayn Rand’s Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution (1999) and co-editor of Objectively Speaking: Ayn Rand Interviewed (2009).
From 1987 to 2003 he was president and editor-in-chief of Second Renaissance Books, a publisher and distributor of titles promoting the values of reason, individualism, science, technology and capitalism.
For more information about Peter Schwartz’s writings and talks, and to follow his blog, please visit: www.peterschwartz.com.
Books and Articles
Chairman Board Of Directors
- Ayn Rand Institute1994 – 2005
- Ayn Rand Institute2006 – present
Editor And Publisher
- The Intellectual Activist1979 – 1991
President And Editor In Chief
- Second Renaissance Books1987 – 2003
- “Gender Tribalism” in Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution 1999
- “The Philosophy of Privation” in Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution 1999
- “Multicultural Nihilism” in Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution 1999
- “The Philosophy of Privation: Environmentalism Unveiled” in Why Businessmen Need Philosophy 2011
- “Libertarianism: The Perversion of Liberty” in The Voice of Reason: Essays in Objectivist Thought 1989
Talks & Lectures
- “Altruism vs. Principles”
- “Analyzing Libertarianism: A Case Study in Thinking in Principles”
- “Capitalism and Selfishness: Ayn Rand’s Radical Code of Values”
- “Barriers to Cognition”
- “The ‘Diversity’ Delusion”
- “The Epistemology of Altruism”
- “The Objectivist Virtue of Selfishness”
- “The Threats to Freedom: A Philosophic Dissection”
- “The Writing Process”
- “Clarity in Conceptualization: The Art of Identifying Package Deals”
- “Contextual Knowledge”
- “Environmentalism: Sacrificing Mankind to Nature”
- “Free Minds and Free Markets”
- “Integration by Essentials”
- “Multiculturalism and the Anti-Conceptual Mentality”
- “New Primitivism: Today’s Attack on Reason and Individualism”
- “Requirements of Objective Journalism”