Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part III, Chapter 10, of Atlas Shrugged: “In the Name of the Best Within Us.”
- Question 1: Why does Dagny shoot the guard? Within the world of the novel, was she justified in so doing? Why might the author have chosen to include this episode?
- Question 2: What do the several protagonists’ actions and reactions during and immediately after Galt’s rescue reveal about their distinctive personalities?
- Question 3: What are Eddie’s prospects at the end of the novel? Why (within the world of the novel) did he end up in this situation? Why might the author have chosen to have Eddie end his journey this way?
- Question 4: What do the various strikers do in preparing to return to the world? What does this reveal about how and at what pace they expect to build a new society? How does it relate to past comments by the strikers on this issue?
- Question 5: What is the significance of Francisco’s laughter in his discussion with Rearden and Wyatt?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part III, Chapter 10?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.