Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part II, Chapter 10, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Sign of the Dollar.”
- Question 1: In this chapter, what examples do we see of a character either viewing another character as a human being or failing to do so? What is the cause of the one characters’ viewing the other as he or she does?
- Question 2: Why does the 20th Century Motor Company’s plan reach such an ugly end? Which characters offer opinions on this?
- Question 3: What do Dagny and Kellogg think of the woman who described Dagny as a “common carrier”? In what ways are their reactions similar and different?
- Question 4: IDrawing on evidence from Dagny’s thought processes, especially while she is flying to and from Utah, what can we tell about why Dagny is willing to risk so much to pursue Quentin Daniels?
- Question 5: At the end of Part II, what does Dagny know or suspect about the causes of what is happening to her world?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part II, Chapter 10?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.