Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part II, Chapter 1, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Man Who Belonged on Earth.”
- Question 1: How have Dagny and Rearden each changed (regarding their careers and personal lives) since Part I of the novel?
- Question 2: Which characters in this chapter are actively avoiding certain thoughts? What thoughts are they avoiding, and why? What differences are there in their motives?
- Question 3: What does Rearden notice about his interaction with the representative of the State Science Institute? How does it apply to other interactions in the chapter?
- Question 4: What is unusual about Rearden’s mood when he comes to Dagny’s apartment at the end of chapter 1? When precisely does this change, and why?
- Question 5: What clues are there in this chapter to mysteries raised earlier in the book?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part II, Chapter 1?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.