Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part I, Chapter 9, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Sacred and the Profane.”
- Question 1: In the first scene, why does Rearden condemn Dagny and himself, and why does she respond as she does?
- Question 2: What is Jim looking for (or trying to get away from) as he walks the streets of Manhattan, and how does Cherryl Brooks help?
- Question 3: What can we tell about what motivates Mr. Mowen from his conversation with the day laborer?
- Question 4: What features of Wisconsin and its inhabitants do Dagny and Rearden notice, and how do they react to them, and why?
- Question 5: How do Dagny and Rearden each react to the discovery of the abandoned motor? What accounts for their reactions?
- Question 6: What other questions and observations do you have about Part I, Chapter 9?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.