Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part I, Chapter 7, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Exploiters and the Exploited.”
- Question 1: What instances of exploitation (real or alleged) do we see in this chapter? In each case, who are the victims, which of their abilities or resources are being exploited, and by whom?
- Question 2: In what way is Dr. Stadler’s view of life like that of the bum Dagny meets in the diner, and in what way is it different? Which other characters we encounter in this chapter have views in common with Stadler or the bum?
- Question 3: What new do we learn in this chapter about Dagny’s, Rearden’s, and Francisco’s feelings towards one another?
- Question 4: Who opposes Rearden Metal and why? Are there any other statements or actions in the chapter motivated by the same reason?
- Question 5: How does Rearden deal with the passage of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill? What impact does his reaction have on other characters?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part I, Chapter 7?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update containing discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.