Greg Salmieri and Ben Bayer discuss the following questions for Part I, Chapter 1, of Atlas Shrugged: “The Theme.”
- Question 1: What do we learn about the world and about Eddie Willers from his observations and reflections as he walks to the Taggart building?
- Question 2: What (if anything) elicits strong emotional responses from Eddie, James, and Dagny, and what responses do those things elicit? What do we learn about the characters from their responses?
- Question 3: What differences are there in how Jim and Dagny deal with problems?
- Question 4: Which characters not discussed in earlier questions are meant to be sympathetic and which unsympathetic (people Eddie encounters on his walk, the brakeman, Pop Harper, the people in charge of the train, Owen Kellogg)?
- Question 5: What are people expressing when they say “Who is John Galt?”?
- Question 6: What other questions or observations do you have about Part I, Chapter 1?
For additional information on the course, explore the Resources page.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Join the Facebook group where we discuss one chapter per week
- Sign up to the email list to get a weekly update withcontaining discussion questions and other project-related information
- Tune in to the live broadcast on the Atlas Shrugged Facebook page every Tuesday evening through April 2018
- Catch up on past broadcasts on ARI Campus, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud
If you’re an experienced reader who wants to discuss chapters that the Project hasn’t covered yet, join the Atlas Project Spoilers Group.